November 23, 2012

giving thanks as we go into winter

Happy (late) Thanksgiving! I hope everyone had a great day celebrating their blessings and giving thanks. We enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving meal with friends of my parents. Thankful I didn't have to cook! Every Thanksgiving I think about my Mayflower ancestors coming to America. I don't know if I would have been so brave! You can read more about my Mayflower ancestry here. Earlier this week, my younger son surprised me by bringing home a picture he drew of the Mayflower during some free time at school, which I happily hung on the refrigerator.

Feels a little like Christmas for me already, I have a new toy to play with. I have been blessed with a barely-used DSLR camera that I have wanted for several years. I am so thrilled! Finally I can stop missing the things I loved about my old film SLR (plus this one can do so much more). My first experiment with it was the low-light candle photo above. With my old digital camera, I would've needed a tripod, and it still would have been terribly grainy and the color would have to be adjusted afterwards. I used manual settings, no tripod, and the only editing I did was to crop it! This photo may not win any awards, but it tells me I may get some good photos of Christmas lights this year, and maybe even decent photos at my kids' Christmas programs!

On Thanksgiving, we also got our Christmas tree up and the lights on it. I wish it were real, but it's a small faux tree. The good part is we can keep it up as long as we want, and no worries about mold allergies, either. With the dark, wintry weather we've had lately, I am so ready for the cheer of the Christmas season! My older son is putting ornaments on our tree as I type, and I will go join him soon. I'll be putting on the Mannheim Steamroller, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and Polar Express music before the end of the day. Bring it on! 

The Mayflower (by Steven, age 9)




No comments: