September 10, 2012

living simply, or less is more

If you desire to live more simply, or feel overwhelmed by cluttered spaces and cluttered schedules, you're not alone. I believe modern society is contributing greatly to this, but it doesn't have to be that way! We can each stop to think and make our own choices about how to live our lives. In response to this, minimalism and simplification seem to be popular themes for blogs and articles these days.

Anyone who has been to visit me knows I will never be a minimalist when it comes to stuff (yeah, I hear you laughing! And never mind all the kids' LEGOs!). But I am always on the lookout for things that just don't need to take up space in my house. (at least things that I can make a decision about.)  The fact is, if you were to look at just my personal stuff apart from my family's, I really don't own that much (my husband owns more shoes than I do). I certainly own a lot less than I used to. The exception is all my supplies for making things. Being interested in many creative pursuits tends to do that! And I'm okay with that. But I regularly purge my supplies, too.

Minimalism or simplifying is not just about the physical stuff. It's about what having the right perspective about stuff, and the right amount of stuff, can do for the other aspects of your life.

I try to live more simply, especially when it comes to schedules, for my sanity! Too much busy-ness makes me tired and grumpy, worn out on the inside. I need time to just be, time to think, time to take care of daily chores without cramming them between a hundred other things, time to be the kind of person my kids deserve.

The reason I tell you all this is because a recent blog post inspired me to share a few thoughts on the matter. While we're not all going to quit our job and move to the country, that beautiful guest post is a fantastic example of what life can be, proof that "less" really can be more. That post is from my favorite blog, Be More With Less (Life On Purpose) by Courtney Carver. I have been reading her blog for many months (maybe close to a year now), and I love that the concepts in her blog posts can be applied to your life in some way, regardless of how minimalistic you are. Her writing is also very uplifting, which I appreciate. For inspiration to dump that extra clutter (of all types), and have time/space/money left to enjoy what's really important in life, take a look!

No comments: