April 9, 2012

a wood louse pet

stuffed wood louse
My younger son is fascinated with all sorts of interesting critters, large and small. One of his favorites is wood lice, AKA pill bugs. We had fun learning that they are not actually bugs but crustaceans, they are one of nature's decomposers, and that some types can roll up and some can't.

He also has collected quite a few unusual stuffed animals. But no pill bugs. A while ago (I won't admit just how long ago!), I told him I would try to sew a stuffed animal pill bug for him. The right fabric had been secured along with matching thread, just waiting for me to tackle it. Finally, for his birthday yesterday, I sat down and did it. Now I am no seamstress, I just sew from time to time out of necessity to create something. This was definitely the most challenging project I have ever tried! And I am now in awe of the people who make sewing patterns for the nicely detailed plushies that my boys have collected.

It took forever (okay, many hours), and it's not as perfect as I had hoped, but I think he likes it! He would love to have pet pill bugs, but I think this cuddly and low-maintenance version is a great alternative.

my son with a pill bug friend, 2009

pill bug plushie design c. 2012 Jennifer Kistler





6 comments:

Susan said...

Oh my goodness I love him!!! Well done! I must admit I find pill bugs a tad cute in an odd sort of way. You've certainly done the species proud.

Jennifer Kistler said...

Thank you, Susan!

Suzanne said...

Cute Jennifer. Actually, Asher was telling me just recently how much your #2 son likes pill bugs. :)

Luella Newkirk said...

Darling! I much prefer the plush to the real thing.

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness it's stunning - i am looking for one to buy but this is the nicest i have found!? shame he isn't for sale :(

Anonymous said...

You might have luck selling these to Japan as they are very popular there. They call them "dangomushi". :)