January 30, 2011

seaside finds

my imperfect but interesting beach finds!
I have several blog posts in mind to write the last couple weeks, but it has been so crazy busy, going places and taking care of things. I am hoping the next week is normal and I can be at home more, getting things done in the studio! At least some of the activities have been good ones. Last Thursday I went with one of my sons to a spelling bee. And the week before, we took a couple days away for ourselves. My husband and I spent two nights in the coastal town of Seaside, Oregon while the boys visited my parents near Astoria. It was a Christmas present to ourselves (I have to credit my husband completely for the idea and planning). This was the first time we have gone away somewhere by ourselves without the kids.

It was a welcome break from everyday life. Seaside is great to visit in the winter. Some shops weren't open in the middle of the week, but the trade-off for no crowds was worth it. And the weather couldn't have been better for January! It was cold, but sunny and not particularly windy. We walked on the beach several times, including one morning when the sand was still crunchy and frozen. We browsed in shops we hadn't been in before, rode the carousel, ate some good food (had the best bacon and cheese omelets at Pig N Pancake both mornings, breakfast is definitely their thing!), and watched the sun dip low over the ocean from the outdoor hot tub.

We enjoyed taking our time wandering through art galleries, both in Seaside and Cannon Beach. Lots of inspiration. I saw a fair amount of what appeared to be metal clay silver jewelry in the galleries, and it was all very different and wonderful!  Reminded me I have just barely scratched the surface of what can be done with it. We also visited Creative Beginnings, where my husband relaxed on the couch while I found some neat beads (I thank him for indulging me!). I love picking up some special beads on trips, as I can remember the trip when I use them later, and every shop has a different selection. I picked up just a few individual beads (not strands), that will become part of future sales pieces, such as Amazonite, Aquamarine, Red Tigereye, Pietersite, and a couple lovely faceted Cubic Zirconia teardrops in bright poppy red and olive green. If you visit Seaside, this is a great shop! I love the atmosphere, and is focused mainly on knitting/crocheting (lots of great yarns/fibers), jewelry, and scrapbooking/rubber stamping, plus a few other crafts.

Of course one of my favorite things about going to Seaside was the ocean. Being near it feels peaceful, refreshing, exciting, and powerful all at once. Here are a few photos I took while there.









This trip was also the inspiration for my latest treasury on Etsy. I wanted to put together a collection of items from my fellow Salem Etsy Team members, and I picked according to a beach theme. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jennifer Kistler said...

Found this great craft project to make "SEASHELL BOOKENDS! Check it out here: http://www.completely-coastal.com/2011/02/make-bookends-with-shells.html